Saturday, April 23, 2011

Journal #6

Miriam Vidaurri
Journal #6

"Grow Your Personal Learning Network," NETS-T: II, III,
Warlick, D. (2009). Grow your own personal network. Learning and Leading with Technology, 36(6), Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/digital-edition-march-april-2009.aspx

Summary: The article presents information about all the types of forming your Personal Learning Network (PLN). It mentions of how it can help create connections with educators all around the world to be able and create a good classroom experience. It mainly talks about three main types of PLN, Personally maintained synchronous connections, Personally and socially maintained semi synchronous connections, and Dynamically maintained asynchronous connections. Personally maintained synchronous is the type of networks that you go to in order to answer questions that you might have or solve a problem. We can find these networks in Twitter, Skype, uStream, and iChat. Personally and socially maintained semi synchronous connections is when collaboration towards a same purpose does not happened by working together in one on one. It is when the collaboration occurs from different places around the world, and different time frame. The networks used are wikis, Google Docs, Twitter, Facebook, and blogs. Dynamically maintained asynchronous connections are not connections with others, it mainly connections with sources that are useful for one purpose of ours. RSS aggregators are the main tool of this type because they help found information on a topic that we have interest fast, and in many forms as pictures, articles, journals, and media. One of the most commons is Delicious or Diigo, because they are social bookmarks and can be used to store all articles of our interest and use them in the future, by looking with their tags you incorporate. The article provides a web map of many PLN plans and how they work to what of the types they are associated. At the end of the article I was able to understand more it, and how it works toward us as educators work too.

Q1: What type of PLN I think will be the one I will use the most?
A1: I think the one I will use the most is Dynamically maintained asynchronous connections. The reason because I will use this one is because I like to found interesting articles online to be informed, but many times I forget where it was one that I want to use in the future. I feel that Diigo is really helpful in this concept because now no matter of my bad memory I will be able to save interesting articles for the future.

Q2: How do you think Facebook will be use in your future career?
A2: In the future Facebook will be use to be able and communicate with other teachers around the world or my own classmates from my classes. As of now I use Facebook with my cohort from ICP to keep in touch and help each other in our concerns about the program and classes. I believe is a good way and easier for everyone to use and because many people has it. Facebook will be a good source to work with people around the world for a common goal, no worrying of distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment